The Sanctuary is a warm, welcoming and quiet place where children can go for a lunchtime, it offers a different environment to the sometimes challenging world of the playground.
Sanctuary’s ethos is underpinned by the Nurture Principles which are as follows:
- Children’s learning is understood developmentally
- The classroom/school offers a safe base
- Nurture is important for the development of self-esteem
- Language is understood as a vital means of communication
- All behaviour is communication
- Transitions are significant in the lives of children
Sanctuary is open to all children in school from Reception to Y6. On a daily basis two children are chosen from each class and they are able to enjoy a range of stimulating activities or alternatively, they can just relax and enjoy a book! Activities include; role play, craft, jewellery making, small world play and farm visits.
What the children say!
‘Sanctuary is great because you can make friends with children from different classes’.
‘I love Sanctuary, it is a good place for calm time’.
‘Sanctuary is a peaceful place and the children are kind’.
‘There are lots of toys and it makes me feel magical!’.
Sanctuary takes place between 12-1.15pm each day.